The Selection Process
Recipients are selected based on the following criteria:
- Academic achievement
- Participation in school, community and volunteer activities
- Work experience
- An essay
What Happens If I Win
- Each $2,000 scholarship check will be made out to the school and sent to the student’s home address on file on or about August 1st.*
- Scholarships may be used to pay for qualified expenses, which include tuition, fees, lab fees and books according to IRS Publication 970. Other degree-related costs (like supplies or equipment required for specific classes) that are purchased from, and paid directly, to the school are also allowed. The IRS does not consider fees for room or board to be qualified expenses.
- The scholarship awards will be given for a maximum of 4 years.
- Exceptions can be considered if the student is enrolled in an undergraduate program of study that normally requires more than 4 years. All exceptions will be handled on an individual basis. Except in very unusual circumstances, the scholarship award cannot be deferred for future use -- it must be used during the upcoming academic year.
- Applicants who receive an appointment to one of the U.S. Service Academies (or affiliated preparatory schools) or are awarded a full scholarship at any accredited U.S. post-secondary institution of higher education are not eligible to receive funds from this program. A full scholarship is usually defined as one that provides for payment of tuition, books, lab fees, and other related expenses.
* It is the recipient’s responsibility to forward the check to the appropriate office at the college or university.
This program is independently administered by Scholarship Managers (SM), a nonprofit scholarship service organization which has no connection to the Defense Commissary Agency or the Fisher House Foundation. SM is solely responsible for the selection of scholarship recipients and its decisions are final. Please direct any questions or concerns to SM at (856) 616-9311 or firstname.lastname@example.org.